Department of Periodontology
P.O. Box 100434
Gainesville, FL 32610-0434
- Post doc in Microbiology, Periodontal Disease Research Center, University of Florida 2004-2005
- M.S. and Ph.D. in Periodontics, Faculdade de Odontologia de Piracicaba, São Paulo, Brazil 2001-2005
- D.D.S., Faculdade de Odontologia de Piracicaba, São Paulo, Brazil 1997-2001
- 2001-04 Periodontal Clinical Practice: 2 Dental Clinics and 3 private practices, São Paulo, Brazil
- 2004-05 Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Oral Biology, University of Florida
- 2004-05 Part-time Assistant Professor, Departments of Periodontology, University of Florida
- 2006-11 Full-time Assistant Professor, Department of Periodontology, University of Florida
- 2012-present Associate Professor, Department of Periodontology, University of Florida
Dr. Shaddox joined the college’s Department of Periodontology as an Assistant Professor in February of 2006. She comes to the college from Brazil, where she obtained her dental and periodontal education. Also, she has practiced general dentistry and performed periodontal treatment for the Brazilian community, as well as actively participated in the scientific research development in Periodontology, both nationally and internationally in a number of areas. She joined the University of Florida Oral Biology department as a research scholar in 2004, developing part of her Ph.D. thesis project involving the microbiology of smokers with periodontal disease. Later, as a pos doc fellow in Microbiology, she became involved with the resistance patterns of periodontal pathogens in biofilms.
Upon joining the periodontal department as an Assistant Professor, Shaddox has been developing a line of research to better understand the relationship between periodontal disease and Diabetes Mellitus, through ongoing animal and clinical studies. She has also been actively involved in a research project with a group of children diagnosed with aggressive periodontal disease in Tallahassee, FL. Dr. Shaddox also has teaching responsibilities in both undergrad and grad programs and is part of the Faculty Practice in the College of Dentistry.
- LPS-induced inflammatory response after therapy of aggressive periodontitis. Shaddox LM, Gonçalves PF, Vovk A, Allin N, Huang H, Hou W, Aukhil I, Wallet SM. J Dent Res. 2013 Aug;92(8):702-8. doi: 10.1177/0022034513495242. Epub 2013 Jun 20.
- Periodontal Treatment Reduces Matrix Metalloproteinase Levels in Localized Aggressive Periodontitis. Gonçalves PF, Huang H, McAninley S, Alfant B, Harrison P, Aukhil I, Walker C, Shaddox LM. J Periodontol. 2013 Mar 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Benefits of early systemic antibiotics in localized aggressive periodontitis: a retrospective study. Beliveau D, Magnusson I, Bidwell JA, Zapert EF, Aukhil I, Wallet SM, Shaddox LM. J Clin Periodontol. 2012 Nov;39(11):1075-81. doi: 10.1111/jcpe.12001. Epub 2012 Aug 29.
- Microbiological characterization in children with aggressive periodontitis. Shaddox LM, Huang H, Lin T, Hou W, Harrison PL, Aukhil I, Walker CB, Klepac-Ceraj V, Paster BJ. J Dent Res. 2012 Oct;91(10):927-33. Epub 2012 Aug 3.
- Local inflammatory markers and systemic endotoxin in aggressive periodontitis. Shaddox LM, Wiedey J, Calderon NL, Magnusson I, Bimstein E, Bidwell JA, Zapert EF, Aukhil I, Wallet SM. J Dent Res. 2011 Sep;90(9):1140-4. doi: 10.1177/0022034511413928. Epub 2011 Jul 5.
- SHADDOX LM, ALFANT B, TOBLER J, AUKHIL I, WALKER C. Perpetuation of Subgingival Biofilms in an In Vitro Model: a pilot study. Molecular Oral Microbiology 2010, jan, 25: 81–87
- L. SHADDOX, J. WIEDEY, E. BIMSTEIN, I. MAGNUSON, M. CLARE-SALZLER, I. AUKHIL, AND S. M. WALLET. Hyper-Responsive Phenotype in Localized Aggressive Periodontitis. Journal of Dental Research 2010 Feb; 89: 143-148.
- SHADDOX LM & WALKER CB. Microbial Testing: Value, Limitations, And Future Directions. Periodontol 2000, 2009;50:25-38.
- KOUTOUZIS T, HABER D, SHADDOX L, AUKHIL I, WALLET SM. Autoreactivity of serum immunoglobulin to periodontal tissue components: a pilot study. J Periodontol. 2009 Apr;80(4):625-33.
- SOARES F, SHADDOX LM, BHATTACHARYYA I, TARVER EJ, BIMSTEIN E. Gingival Overgrowth In An Arthrogryposis Child Treated With Er,Cr:Ysgg Laser: A Casereport. Pediatric Dentistry, 2009 jan-Feb; 31(1): 8-13.
- LECIO G, SHADDOX LM, DINIZ CARVALHO M, MENDES DUARTE P, SANTOS TUNES R, NOGUEIRA-FILHO GR, SALLUM EA. Subgingival triclosan-polydimethylsiloxane gel as an adjunct to scaling and root planing. Am J Dent. 2008 Jun;21(3):171-4.
- ALFANT, B, SHADDOX, LM, TOBLER, J, MAGNUSSON, I, AUKHIL, I, WALKER, C. Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) levels in children with aggressive periodontitis. J. Periodontol. 2008 79: 819-826.
- SHADDOX LM, ANDIA DC, CASATI MZ, NOCITI FH, SALLUM AW, WALKER CB. “Microbiological Changes Following Local Delivery Doxycycline In Smokers. A 15-Month Follow-Up”. J Periodontol. 2007;Nov 78(11):2143-9
- RODRIGUES IF, MACHION L*, CASATI MZ, NOCITI FH, DE TOLEDO S, SALLUM AW, SALLUM EA. Clinical Evaluation of the Use of Locally Delivered Chlorhexidine in Periodontal Maintenance Therapy. J Periodontol. 2007 Apr;78(4):624-628.