Clinical Research Consultant
Andrea Vovk graduated from the University of Western Ontario in Canada with an Honors BSc in physiology and a PhD in exercise physiology. She completed her Post-Doctoral Fellowship at the Harvard School of Public Health studying dyspnea and continued her research in respiratory neurobiology at the UF College of Veterinary Medicine. Andrea has presented the results from her work at several international conferences and continues to serve as a reviewer for the Journal of Applied Physiology and Experimental Physiology.
Andrea worked as a clinical research coordinator for Dr. Luciana Shaddox from April 2011 to July 2014. She managed Dr. Shaddox’s clinical studies investigating periodontitis in African-American children, Type II diabetics and patients with Glycogen Storage Disease (GSD), and developed a new study identifying the barriers to access to dental care. Andrea was accepted into the CTSI Academy of Research Excellence for Coordinators and completed the program in June 2014. She is currently a consultant for Dr. Shaddox’s research program.
- Merchant SN, Vovk A, Kalash D, Hovencamp N, Aukhil I, Harrison P, Zapert E, Bidwell J, Varnado P, Shaddox LM “Localized Aggressive Periodontitis Treatment Response in Primary and Permanent Dentitions.”J Periodontol. 2014 Sep 4:1-13. [epub ahead of print]
- Shaddox LM, Gonçalves PF, Vovk A, Allin N, Huang H, Hou W, Aukhil I, Wallet SM (2013) “LPS-induced inflammatory response after therapy of aggressive periodontitis” J Dent Res. Aug;92(8):702-8.
- Segers LS, Nuding SC, Vovk A, Pitts T, Baekey DM, O’Connor R, Morris KF, Lindsey BG, Shannon R, Bolser DC (2012) “Discharge Identity of Medullary Inspiratory Neurons is Altered during Repetitive Fictive Cough” Front Physiol. 3:223.
- Bernhardt V, Garcia-Reyero N, Vovk A, Denslow N, Davenport PW (2011) “Tracheal occlusion modulates the gene expression profile of the medial thalamus in anesthetized rats” J Appl Physiol. Jul;111(1):117-24.
- von Leupoldt A, Vovk A, Bradley MM, Lang PJ, Davenport PW (2011) “Habituation in neural processing and subjective perception of respiratory sensations” Psychophysiology Jun;48(6):808-12.
- von Leupoldt A, Vovk A, Bradley MM, Keil A, Lang PJ, Davenport PW (2010) “The impact of emotion on respiratory-related evoked potentials” Psychophysiology May 1;47(3):579-86.
- Davenport PW, Vovk A, Duke RK, Bolser DC, Robertson E (2009) “The urge-to-cough and cough motor response modulation by the central effects of nicotine” Pulm Pharmacol Ther. Apr;22(2):82-9.
- Davenport PW, Vovk A (2009) “Cortical and subcortical central neural pathways in respiratory sensations” Respir Physiol Neurobiol. May 30;167(1):72-86.
- Binks AP, Vovk A, Ferrigno M, Banzett RB (2007) “The air hunger response of four elite breath-hold divers” Respir Physiol Neurobiol. Nov 15;159(2):171-7.
- Vovk A, Binks AP (2007) “Raising end-expiratory volume relieves air hunger in mechanically ventilated healthy adults” J Appl Physiol. Sep;103(3):779-86.
- Vovk A, Bolser DC, Hey JA, Danzig M, Vickroy T, Berry R, Martin AD, Davenport PW (2007) “Capsaicin exposure elicits complex airway defensive motor patterns in normal humans in a concentration-dependent manner” Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 20(4):423-32.
- Vovk A, Smith WD, Paterson ND, Cunningham DA, Paterson DH (2004) “Peripheral chemoreceptor control of ventilation following sustained hypoxia in young and older adult humans” Exp Physiol. 2004 Nov;89(6):647-56.
- Shoemaker JK, Vovk A, Cunningham DA (2002) “Peripheral chemoreceptor contributions to sympathetic and cardiovascular responses during hypercapnia” Can J Physiol Pharmacol. Dec;80(12):1136-44.
- Vovk A, Cunningham DA, Kowalchuk JM, Paterson DH, Duffin J (2002) “Cerebral blood flow responses to changes in oxygen and carbon dioxide in humans” Can J Physiol Pharmacol. Aug;80(8):819-27.
- Vovk A, Duffin J, Kowalchuk JM, Paterson DH, Cunningham DA (2000) “Changes in chemoreflex characteristics following acute carbonic anhydrase inhibition in humans at rest” Exp Physiol. Nov;85(6):847-56.